Sunday, May 4, 2014

Cybervetting

I believe cybervetting is simply a part of what the internet provides its users. For all that the web allows people to do, this is one of the consequences. When I was hired for my first real job, my manager recommended to me that I get rid of my social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter) and her reasoning was it could do a lot more harm that good. I decided to keep my Facebook account for a while after, but did adhere to her advice to never post a picture where alcohol or illegal substances are present. I think if prospective employers are willing to pay an individual a fair wage, then they have a right to know the type of person that individual is off the clock because in quite a few professions, although the individual might not be at work, they're always representing the company and its values. Most people learn from trial and error regarding what is and isn't appropriate to post online and during most job initiation/training, guidelines for using social media are usually discussed. I've seen firsthand what posting vulgar pictures and/or comments can do to a career and it looked to be very unpleasant. Everyone should remember that anything publicly posted to the web can be used down the line to harm a reputation so be weary of what you're holding when posing for pictures or just drink out of plastic solo cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment